Monday, May 26, 2008

What CNN Really Thinks of Black Women

I'm going to guess there weren't any black women editors at CNN who had a hand vetting this story:
Gender or race: Black women voters face tough choices in S.C.

Here is an afterthought, twenty-five paragraphs into the story:
While race and gender play a role, most women here say they plan to vote based on the issues.

It seems that CNN doesn't buy that issues thing. When the email pours in, however, they finally get a clue. It's too late to pull their old story so they run a "counterpoint" story. Readers (but apparently not CNN) are upset:
CNN readers respond angrily to 'race or gender' story

One response:
An e-mailer named Tiffany responded sarcastically: "Duh, I'm a black woman and here I am at the voting booth. Duh, since I'm illiterate I'll pull down the lever for someone. Hm... Well, he black so I may vote for him... oh wait she a woman I may vote for her... What Ise gon' do? Oh lordy!"

UPDATE:
The "Tough Choice" report was written by Randi Kaye. Can I assume that since she is a white women she doesn't get a choice?

Originally posted in UNCoRRELATED Jan 21, 2008

No comments: