Saturday, November 17, 2007

Mom's a Maverick Too

Mom might not be making the talking head circuit for a while after MSNBC's Chris Matthews asked her opinion of Mitt Romney:

"As far as the Salt Lake City thing, he's a Mormon and the Mormons of Salt Lake City had caused that scandal. And to clean that up, again, it's not a subject," Roberta McCain said.

John McCain quickly stepped in: "The views of my mother's are not necessarily the views of mine."

"Well, that's my view and you asked me," Roberta answered.

I haven't met anyone in their nineties who didn't speak what was on their mind - good, bad, or ugly; McCain's mother reinforces my observation. I don't think McCain expected his Mom's response - he looked pretty uncomfortable.

Even at ninety-five Mrs McCain displayed a "mother Bear" instinct to defend her son from a perceived threat.

Will the gaffe matter to Mormons? Probably not. Too much. The Utah Governer, Jon Huntsman Jr. is a McCain supporter. His father, who I consider more influental however, is a key supporter of Mitt Romney.

Will Mrs McCain's disparaging remarks about Mormons increase his support in the Bible belt state of South Carolina? Hard to tell, but I would hope not.

Also, listen to Matthews. Twice he refers to John McCain as Roberta McCain's husband. I was beginning to think he didn't know better.

Originally posted in UNCoRRELATED Nov 9, 2007

No comments: