Saturday, November 17, 2007

I Can Read Afterall

I still get the dead tree edition of my local paper. It is a breakfast tradition. I read the headlines and editorials, the kids read the comics.

Yesterday I read the headline at the right, "A Quarter of Veterans in US are Homeless" and immediately found it unbelievable. So I decided to write a blog entry about it. And like any good blogger, I linked to the electronic version so you the reader could have your own look. Except the headline changed, but I didn't pay attention as I cut and pasted it into my post.

When I calculated there would be 8 million homeless veterans (based on about 33 Million total veterans), I knew an error had been made somewhere. I rechecked the electronic article, saw the headline and assumed I misread it (which I did). I noted the error and moved on.

I didn't realize the dead tree version had a different headline till I glanced at it as I tossed it into the recycling pile today. So I'm partially relieved that I read one of them right. The Deseret News just made a simple error; their editor caught it later and had the e-version corrected.

Originally posted in UNCoRRELATED Nov 9, 2007

No comments: