Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Dowd still using a Hand Press?

The "Bush vacations while Rome burns" schtick didn't have much traction seven years ago. Apparently only those stuck setting type in the New York Times missed out on the fact that the President of the U.S. pretty much takes his office on the road. This week Maureen Dowd sounds downright anachronistic as she pulls the typesetting duty in today's internet age:

America’s back in the cold war and W.’s back on vacation...

..He has spent 469 days of his presidency kicking back at his ranch, and 450 days cavorting at Camp David. And there’s still time to mountain-bike through another historic disaster.
I guess Maureen does all her writing on a typewriter chained to a desk in the New York Times building. The rest of us understand the concept of the mobile office. In the words of Rush Limbaugh - "It doesn't matter where here is."

For three years I worked out of my home office. My customers didn't know that and it didn't matter. Now I have a downtown office but I still do some work from home - usually after hours. It is all transparent to my customers and out of state boss. If the New York Times used laptops and cell phones they would know what I mean. And yes, the laptop and phone are with me on vacation - for the occasional urgent matter.

So Dowd might not identify with the capabilities technology affords the President, but the rest of us do.

Crossposted at UNCoRRELATED

No comments: