Saturday, April 28, 2007

Defining Hitler Up

A while back I was pulling crud out of one of my drains when a little one asked what I was doing.

“I’m cleaning junk out of the drain.”

She smiled and said “I like junk.”

Not a big surprise if she only hears the word “junk” as a description for her favorite diet.

I checked Google once to see how many hits I could get with the words “Bush” and “Hitler”. At the time I got 1.48 Million hits. I compared other names with Hitler, the closest contender to Bush was Stalin with half the hits. The Bush-Hitler crowd is quite prolific.

Now consider: When more than half our high school seniors picked Germany, Japan, or Italy as one of our World War II allies do you think they are up to speed on Hitler and his atrocities? I’m sure from context they’ve picked up that Hitler wasn’t a good person. But what type of person was he? Well if Bush = Hitler then the reverse must also be true Hitler=Bush. I can see some of the next generation thinking that Hitler’s biggest atrocity was being in the wrong party (ironic when anti-Semitism runs rampant in the "correct" party).

For the uninformed, the Bush Derangement Syndrome folks are defining Hitler up; for the informed, when BDS sufferers equate Bush with Hitler they only demonstrate their detachment from reality.

P.S. If you're one of the ones who didn't know we fought against Germany, Japan, and Italy in WWII, you might want to read up on Hitler to understand this post.

No comments: