Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Replacing Old Corruption with New Corruption

The Democrats took the Republicans to the woodshed in last week’s congressional elections, taking control of the House and Senate. Now, Nancy Pelosi, the congresswomen from one of the most liberal districts in the Nation (San Francisco/Bay Area), is poised to take over as Speaker of the House. Some of her campaign rhetoric helping her team win:


“It is long past time for the Congress to address the systemic Republican culture of corruption that has undermined the American people’s confidence in this institution,” Pelosi said. “I am proud that some of the best minds in our Caucus will be leading the Democratic effort to clean up the corrupt Republican Congress. These great leaders will work to restore truth and trust to the People’s House.”
So who are the sound minds she thinks will “restore truth and trust to the People’s House”? Well we have John Murtha, D-PA as her choice for Majority Leader, the number two position next to hers. Here is how this stellar pillar of virtue turns down a bribe (from a Jack Anderson Column reporting on the FBI’s ABSCAM sting operation):


"I want to deal with you guys awhile before I make any transactions at all, period. . . . After we've done some business, well, then I might change my mind. . . . "

. . . "I'm going to tell you this. If anybody can do it — I'm not B.S.-ing you fellows — I can get it done my way." he boasted. "There's no question about it." . . .

But the reluctant Murtha wouldn't touch the $50,000. Here on secret videotape was
this all-American hero, tall and dignified in a disheveled way, explaining why he wasn't quite ready to accept the cash.

"All at once," he said, "some dumb [expletive deleted] would go start talking eight years from now about this whole thing and say [expletive deleted], this happened. Then in order to get immunity so he doesn't go to jail, he starts talking and fingering people. So the [S.O.B.] falls apart." . . .

"You give us the banks where you want the money deposited," offered one of the
bagmen." All right," agreed Murtha. "How much money we talking about?"

"Well, you tell me."

"Well, let me find out what is a reasonable figure that will get their attention," said
Murtha, "because there are a couple of banks that have really done me some favors in the past, and I'd like to put some money in. . . . ["]
I’m not a guy who trusts the current crop of Democrat leaders in the first place, but even I never anticipated the audacity displayed by Ms. Pelosi in backing John Murtha's bid for Majority Leader. Mick Stockinger, at Uncorrelated speculates Murtha, a purported 'war hawk' made a deal with Pelosi to call for a withdrawal from Iraq, thus giving the Democrats cover in their 'cut and run' strategy, in exchange for her to back his bid for Majority leader. Maybe back then she didn’t think the Democrats would really win the house.

(h/t Michelle Malkin for providing the quotes)

No comments: